A blog for my writerly ramblings, my rambly writings, and all things in between.

Sunday, February 22, 2009

Entertain Me

I have a confession to make. I like to be entertained. And because of that, I am generally not a good person to ask for recommendations for good movies or books, because I am notoriously non-critical. I think there are perhaps less than 10 movies I have ever seen in my lifetime that I didn't like. Off the top of my head I can think of two- Crazy/Beautiful (I remember I wrote in my journal after seeing this one that I thought it was Stupid/Dumb) and Beverly Hills Ninja. So, as you can see, my taste is expansive.

I am pretty much the same way with books- take the Twilight series, for instance. I had a lot of friends who said it was too juvenile for them, and that they got all rolly-eyed at the mushy smooshy stuff. I will admit, there was mushy smooshiness. But you know what? It was fun! I never picked up the book expecting to be reading a Pulitzer prize winner- I picked it up because I like to read and it looked like a good story. I was not disappointed- it was a good story. And I was entertained.

I think that a big part of it is that I am an empathetic person, especially to authors and movie makers, because they put their hard work and creativity into something for the sole purpose of entertaining their audience. Therefore, I want to be entertained, because I genuinely want them to succeed. Who cares if the science doesn't match up (trust me, you have no idea how annoying it was watching the movie Armageddon with a guy who works for NASA! Sorry John) and if there are a few inconsistencies in the story? As long as it's not completely inane (see first paragraph) or vulgar then I'm game. Because really, it's all just about entertainment.

You may think that I am contradicting myself because of my post about The Bachelor, but I disagree. You see, The Bachelor is a reality show. If it was strictly for entertainment, I would be all for it, however, this is actually how the guy is going to pick out his wife. And I just really think it's a dumb way to do it, so I'm going to bash it a little bit. (But I'm still going to watch it because it is, primarily, entertaining).

Don't get me wrong, I can be critical if I have to be. I once tore apart a book in a critical evaluation paper for school without knowing that my professor helped write it (luckily, he agreed with my crticisms). But it's just no fun. If something is put out there for my enjoyment, then gosh darn it, I want to enjoy it. Don't rain on my parade by picking apart my latest read or last night's date movie. Just entertain me.

1 comment:

  1. The Armageddon part made me laugh because, I'm married to a mechanic. And when there are car troubles in something we're watching, or someone is hot-wiring a car, get my drift, he always comments about how that wouldn't really work etc. I have to smile at him and say, Most people wouldn't even know that!

    I'm easy going with entertainment to. As long as it's decent, I'm fine.

    Like your new blog.
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete